Saturday, February 24, 2007

All That I Will Ever Be


I am a big fan of Alan Ball's depressing scripts that trouble contemporary relationships, especially in Six Feet Under. I watched every single episode and have turned couple of people into this show. When I saw the interview in Time Out New York, I said to myself I'd got to see this play--All That I Will Ever Be. With my student ID, I'd be able to buy a $20 ticket (regular price is $60) at New York Theatre Workshop on Tuesday night. The tickets were almost sold out. I saw a few empty seats. Looking around, I realized that most of audiences were seniors, including me. I was sitting next to an old guy with white hair. I can tell that he didn't feel comfortable watching this show. Why? Because he moved and sighed every 15 minutes. When you are caught up with something you really pay attention to, you almost forget to move or breathe. Or maybe I am wrong. Perhaps he's too old to be kept in a small seat like that. Or he might not like the show since it's about gay hustler who always lies and falls for white guy. There are couple scenes of him wearing only underwear and them smoking (real) pot in the theatre. How cool is that?

You can read some reviews here:
Review by Theartermania.com; the article is more about actors, actress and crews.

Review by The New York Times; this article also talks about the story and playwright.

I totally agree with these two articles about Omar--main character. I don't think the actor did a very good job. He's a complicated gay hustler--with deep personalities--lying about his identity in order to forget about his past. There is something about this actor that I don't buy. However, the scene that got my tears is the one about this old (70-year-old) gay guy. He is Omar's client; talking about his homosexual life before he came out of the closet; how hard it is for him to be gay and live with his wife and kid.

Great acting!!! He says to Omar "Sweetheart, people don't pay your kind for sex. They pay you to leave."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home