Friday, September 21, 2007

Once


When was your last visit to the movie theatre? What was the last movie you saw? If you can’t answer these questions, I think you are getting old and that is not because you can’t remember things clearly. It’s generally because you don’t go see movie at the theatre anymore. Or perhaps you have a choice to consume the beauty of the film by waiting for the DVDs, like I do. It’s very hard for me to find a decent movie to spend my time (and of course, money) and traditionally sit in a tiny seat surrounded by strangers most of who have annoying behaviors. Oh boy. I AM old!

So I had this weekday off and didn’t want to stay in my shack all day long. My friend and I browsed through the now-showing list and unbelievably couldn’t find a movie we wanted to see. I told her I was not interested in seeing Hollywood-type big budget movie. I’d rather spend my money on a low-budget film. According to her friends, she strongly recommended the independent film called Once.

Well, first of all, it was advertised as a love movie. As you all know, an Indies film’s director always has an interesting way of showing and directing love story; it’s more realistic with ordinary characters you could find in your life. The Guy who repairs vacuum cleaners during the day and turns himself to be a street musician at night simply meets the Girl on the street. The conversation of music knowledge leads to singing together and then recording the Guy’s song in the studio. The relationship develops through the beautiful melody. Neither of them, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, is an actor; actually they both are real musicians. However, the combination of storylines and music is just perfect. Went back home with love in the air, I was moved and touched by their performance.

This movie essentially answers the question: How often do you find the right person?

5 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, September 23, 2007, Blogger Mom said...

I remember clearly my last movie I saw " The inconvenient truth". Also there was a flood at Scala theatre that night. So I'm not so old!!!

 
At 12:03 AM, October 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i often wonder what the cinema offers
moonlight upon a reflection in a glass
twirling vision and broken dreams
where will we all find ourselves
in the end?

 
At 10:12 AM, October 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how often do you find wrong person....., better question?

 
At 8:11 AM, October 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u should email ur review 2 the nation newspaper or the bangkok post.

 
At 9:12 AM, March 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

เรื่องนี้สรุปแล้ว เพิ่งเข้ามาฉายที่เมืองไทย เฉพาะโรงลิโด้สยามฯ ที่เดียว (มี.ค. 2551) หลังจากเพลงชนะออสการ์ ก็ช่วยปั่นยอดขายซีดีให้พุ่งมากขึ้น หนังดีมาก ให้กำลังใจดี ดูแล้วคิดถึงตอนยังเล่นดนตรี ตอนเด็กๆ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home