Tuesday, July 03, 2007

First Short Story

POW POW!!! He heard the pounding at the door. BAM BAM BAM!!! He looked at his antique clock on the wall, which said 11:15. He wasn’t expecting anyone this late, especially on a rainy night like this. Actually, he wasn’t expecting anyone at all since he’d been busy with his new job—not to mention three new records he and his band had been painstakingly working on. He had no time to socialize. However, he didn’t care as long as he was doing something he was passionate about. He got up from his computer desk, walked quickly past his kitchen and opened the door. It was Maurine, the girl he’d been seeing for a couple of months. Soaking wet like a little puppy, she pushed herself all the way into his apartment. He was surprised by her appearance and didn’t have a chance to greet her or anything. Apparently, she’d been crying hysterically. He could tell from the black line of mascara on her lovely face. Her eyes were swollen and red. So was her nose. He had no idea how long she’d been weeping. There was no point in asking.

Standing in the middle of his living room in her black coat, she shouted loudly, “Why didn’t you call me? Do you have any idea how long I’ve been waiting for your call? I so desperately wanted to hear your voice, just your voice.” She paused and then continued. “What the hell are you doing? Where the hell are you? Why can’t you make just one phone call? I thought we really had a good time for a couple of weeks. We have so much in common. No one understands me like you do. On the other hand, no one treats me like you do.” She looked at him like he was a murderer. “Yes! You are a murderer. You emotionally murder me!” She was screaming at him. Not only was she vulnerable, she was also a psychic, reading his mind. He kept his words to himself thinking that silence might be the best way to deal with a crazy girl like her. And that was his way of dealing with problems.

She walked into his bedroom, grabbed his towel and dried her long hair. He was going to help her but she moved away from him. “What do you know?” she started. “Meeting and knowing you is the best thing that ever happened to me. I don’t care how many girls you have met or you’ve hung out with. I like you the way you are. I like you because you are you. You remember when we first met?” He could see a flash of her smile. “I feel like you own me. My mind and body were covered by your unexplained magic. Suddenly, I am yours!” He, of course, remembered the first night, the night he would never forget. His friend thought Maurine was a crazy girl and told him to stay away from her. There were several girls at the party approaching him and trying to get his attention. But he couldn’t keep his eyes off of her. Something inside his head told him that this girl belonged to him.

“You think it’s easy for me to start a new relationship?” She was sitting on his sofa in the living room and sobbing. “I was in a gloomy world until I met you. I know we are living in different worlds. Your world is always bright and beautiful. You could choose anyone you want. Why would you want to be in my world—the world of darkness? Somehow, I hoped that you would change my world. You would make me feel human again. I am so sorry to say this. But you just killed me.”

She got up and walked to the kitchen. She knew where he kept his facial tissue. She wiped her face, blew her nose and then adjusted her coat. “Ok. I have said what I wanted to say to you. Thank you for everything. Thank you for the good times that we’ve had together. Thank you for your warm and comforting touches.” She hugged him and left. It was as fast as when she showed up in front of his door. The elevator had already taken her downstairs when he whispered to himself, “Hi, Maurine. How’re you doing? I just got home and was about to call you.”

4 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, July 10, 2007, Blogger Excalibur said...

I thought this was real!

 
At 2:56 PM, November 15, 2007, Blogger wynntar said...

since i ve been watching CSI everynight, i thought the girl is going to kill the guy. pretty interesting. i like it.

 
At 3:08 PM, January 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the ending!!

 
At 5:51 AM, August 30, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can feel the writor is Asian.
from the way she wrote.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home