Sunday, May 27, 2007

An Evening with Damien Rice



I hate to say this. Damien Rice is my new beau now. I totally blame this on Coldplay! Since they haven't released new album in 2 years. I can't help but have to find a new shelter.

First row of mezzanine level, I sat there with a little bit of buzz on. People still were hanging out at the hallway, some buying drinks, some taking photos. This is my first time at Radio City Music Hall. Undoubtedly, the interior is magnificent, like classic opera house with decorated ceiling and circle stairs lead you to the mezzanine level.

Who would have thought that Damien would not have an opening band? At 8:40, the lead singer wearing dark brown blazer and washed jeans started with “9Crimes”, beautifully played his piano which placed in the middle of the stage, surrounded by candle lights. Don't ask me what songs he played. I never remember the names or the sequence of the songs; definitely Delicate and Accidental Child--no wonder how I remember these two songs; they are my favorites.

One thing you can't find from listening to the songs from your CD player--unless your have powerful speakers--is the upbeat sounds that Damien added to his songs. We all are familiar with his acoustic guitar and heartbreaking voice. Of course, in his performance, light and sounds would be added to make live show more amusing and audience would be more involved. He turned his depressing songs into sort-of-a-rock songs. I really enjoyed that kind of transformation. And you can always go back to his CD if you want to hear his original somber songs.

We all thought that he would end his show with "I remember" because the way he sang it was so dreary like his heart would really be broken. He was standing with his acoustic guitar by himself and then the light went dark. Surprisingly, the show was not over yet! He sang "Cannon Ball" without the microphone or any other musical instruments. I have to admit I've never heard such a powerful voice like his before--so deep and, ahem, dominant. Right after he finished the song, everybody was standing up and uproariously clapping their hands admiring his great performance.

Traditionally, audience encored. Yes, they did for a while. I was standing up screaming like crazy. Finally, he entered the stage. He told us briefly about his next song--"Unplayed Piano"--which he wrote for Aung San Suu Kyi, the leader of Burma. Her short movie clip was shown as a backdrop while Damien sang the song. Helplessly, I cried thinking that this girl is amazing. She sacrifices her own life in order to helping her people.

"Blower's Daughter" was sang next. I, personally, don't like this song as much as Delicate. I guess everyone knows him because of this song from movie The Closer. Again, we all stood up after he finished this song. The light went dark. We were all clapping. However, he still told a story about how a guy met a girl in a rainy night. They went to the bar, having couple drinks and then the girl had to rush home because her boyfriend was waiting for him. That led to his last song which was “Cheer Darlin.” He was drinking red wine; yes I am talking about real wine, while he sang the song. The combination of his acting and his incredible voice just made “Cheer Darlin’ sound more dejected. He was running up to the balcony singing it distressingly.

WOW! What a breathtaking performance. My evening would never be better that this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home