Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Zodiac


Friday night is no longer Ploy’s night. I’ve moved on. Oh well, it’s more like I have to move on.

There are two reasons I am willing to spend my $10.25on a movie ticket: firstly it’s got 6 stars (out of 6) from Time Out New York and secondly I need to get rid of Jake Gyllenhaal’s gay character from Brokeback Mountain. Actually, I would include the third reason which happens to be the director’s name I saw from imdb website. It’s David Fincher who also directed Panic Room (2002), Fight Club (1999), The Game (1997) and one of my favorite movies Se7en (1995).

Zodiac’s plot takes place in the San Francisco Bay Area almost 40 years ago. This serial-killer case officially remains unresolved. Written by cartoonist Robert Graysmith, the book is about his effort to solve the case and was turned into a movie. I really like the set of the scene especially in the San Francisco Chronicle newsroom. The scene closely resembles the real time when this case happened. There are no computers; only nice and antique typewriters. (How one could solve a crime without the help of computer and eletronic devices?) It reminds me of my grandfather’s old typewriter from which I started my typing skill. Everybody dresses, lives and drives in their late 1960s. Sitting there wondering what the movie is all about, I was suddenly thrilled by the opening and was kept thinking as a police who tried to solve this crime. For those of you who are a big fan of all Law and Order, you’ve got to see this suspense thriller. Like Se7en, the movie offers more and more evidence but doesn’t reveal the killer. That just made me goes crazy about finding the truth about the perpetrator.

Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr. have done an excellent job of imitating a dedicated detective and a reporter respectively. Unfortunately, I do not quite like Jake’s acting. His role is to show that there’s more than one way to lose your life to a killer—like the movie’s tagline says. His acting isn't that convicing. Anyway, I’ll give him a break since he has done a very good job in Brokeback Mountain and plus he is Coldplay fan!

The following quote came from the review on imdb.com;
Here's the best way I can convey how good it is. I'm seven and a half months pregnant. I did not go to the bathroom once, in the nearly three hours of running time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home