Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Tucson Day 1

I woke up pretty early this morning to get ready for my flight. Car service was ready when I walked out of my house. It was 8 o’clock in the morning. The traffic wasn’t that bad. It took me around 20 minutes to go to LaGuardia Airport and to find out that my flight had been delayed for one hour and a half. New York hasn’t been able to find the way to handle this snow situation yet.

Surely, all passengers were upset. I sat next to an Indian guy who happened to travel to the same destination. While we waited for the plane to take off, I was reading Sky Mall magazine and found some fascinating items; the biggest crossword which would take a whole year to resolve, the travel mug which has an USB port to connect to your laptop to keep your drink warm. Who would have thought of this stuff?

I was reading Ancient Futures, the book I got as my birthday present, to bide my time instead of talking to the Indian guy sitting next to me. Some Ladakhi girls married to two guys inevitably because it is one of their customs. I imagined if I would be able to do the same thing. Nowadays, snack is sold for $3 in the airplane. A flight attendant was serving me a cold coffee. It was a delayed flight; I understood and didn’t say anything. I just returned the coffee politely. However, she replaced a new cup of coffee.

We were literally running out of the plane when it arrived Dallas. Our connecting flight was only 15 minutes apart. When we got to the gate, the crewmember in front of the gate pronounced that the plane to Tucson was delayed. So we had time to grab something to eat. I was starving and ordering this big chicken sandwiched from Chili’s. According to the change, we had to move to a different gate. This long walk made me even more hungry and frustrated. One delayed flight wasn’t enough, was it?

Finally, the plane to Tucson was on board. I was in line to get into the plane. In front of me was the lovely family; young couple with blonde daughter, Eliza. This little kid just made my day. She was smiling and mumbling innocently. Gradually I calmed down and lost my anxiety. It was nothing you could do. Really! Plus I should be happy that my Indian neighbor had been upgraded to first class.

Unbelievably, I was seated next to Eliza’s father. As a good citizen would do, I gave up my seat to this family so they could sit together. Today wasn’t the good to fly; another long wait before we take off. It was just because some inconsiderate passenger threw away a diaper in the toilet, which caused clogging and leaking. I slept most of the time, tired of this trip already.

After my boss picked me up at the airport, he checked me in to Randolph Park Hotel & Suites. The size of the bed would fit three people. I got to stay in this room by myself. God protects me. BJ introduced me to one of his best friend/supplier from Nairobi. We went to have dinner at this Asian fusion restaurant. Unfortunately, the restaurant has changed. Now it’s French, which wasn’t as good as it used to be. Even though it was an opening night, we were a bit disappointed. However. The night went well with good jokes, great wine and sweet waitress. I was laughing so hard I could almost choke when BJ’s friend had a doubt that the chef was really French. Everything on the table wasn’t considered as French at all, according to his experiences on food.

Time difference is two hours. Three glasses of red wine just took in. It’s time to bed. Hard work awaits tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home